So I recently posted a recipe for shrimp tacos with pineapple salsa and I talked about how I served them with seasoned black beans. Here is the recipe that goes with that recipe but of course this side dish can be served with anything else. It would pair well with grilled tuna steaks or fajita style chicken breast. It is a very simple recipe that can be whipped up in 10 minutes or less. One thing I do when I shop for any canned items is I always get low sodium. They do not taste any different and usually adding some spices to the item so do not need to worry about lack of flavor. These beans are so good that you could serve them with tortilla chips as a dip. Another tip you can do with canned beans or vegetables is give them a quick rinse but that is a judgment call. Well, anyways here is the recipe for seasoned black beans:
- 3/4 cup low-sodium canned black beans (include liquid)
- 2 tablespoons of diced yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons canned diced green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon of jar minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- On low heat in a medium or small fry pan cook onion for 2 minutes and stirring occasionally.
- Add beans, chilies, garlic,and lime juice to pan and turn up heat to medium-low. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Make sure to stir frequently so beans do not burn.
- Once liquid is absorbed moved from heat and serve.